Home Archives ‘Miracle’ Minnesota Burn Survivor Leaves Hospital Following 264 Days

‘Miracle’ Minnesota Burn Survivor Leaves Hospital Following 264 Days

SHARE

A Minnesota man who survived becoming badly burned in a lawnmower explosion was discharged Friday after 264 days in the hospital, but not before his caregivers gathered to say farewell to 1 of their favourite sufferers.

She Yan Chen, 61, of Oak Park Heights, was burned more than additional than 70 % of his body final October when the gasoline he was utilizing to fill a riding lawnmower inside his garage exploded. Medical doctors gave him a 20 percent chance of survival at the time.

Chen underwent quite a few skin grafts and 15 surgeries in all, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Friday ( http://bit.ly/1IVWiL8 ). His pinky fingers have been amputated. He practically died in January just after building a perforated stomach ulcer and slipping into a coma a week later.

Stepping from the elevator on his way back from physical therapy Thursday, he got a surprise greeting from far more than 50 Regions Hospital personnel, some carrying posters, balloons and streamers.

“He is a miracle,” nurse Sherry Schaefer mentioned. “We never do this for everyone, but he’s been in here considering the fact that October. He’s a incredibly sweet guy.”

Chen’s recovery was difficult mainly because so much of his physique was burned, stated David Ahrenholz, co-director of Regions Burn Center.

“We used all of the unburned parts of his body (to harvest skin grafts), and there weren’t that quite a few — some patches on his thighs and some on his back — but it was incredibly complicated,” Ahrenholz mentioned.

Chen, who emigrated to the United States from China in 1993, thanked his physicians and nurses.

“Everybody is so useful and so concerned and cares,” he said through an interpreter. “I really feel so glad, so delighted to see so many people. (But) I am hunting forward to going property. I miss my young children.”

For now, Chen is functioning on enhancing his mobility. He was a chef at Mr. Chow Chinese Restaurant in Stillwater but likely will be unable to work once more, daughter Shi Qin Chen mentioned.

“He cannot sweat, so, far more than likely, he’s not going to be in a position to go into the kitchen for any extended period of time,” he mentioned.

Nurses Jody Rood and Michelle Foss stated Chen impressed all of the nurses with his very good cheer.

“You’d stroll by his area, and he’d always be smiling and waving,” Foss said.

&#8212&#8212&#8212

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, http://www.twincities.com